© Register of One-Place Studies 2013-2015


More About The

One-Place Study

County (historic)

Country

Primary Place

Study started circa

Sub-places (e.g. hamlets) within study

Old photos of buildings/places

Old postcard views

Overview of Study

Old photos of past residents

Primary resources

Secondary resources

Electoral rolls/poll books

Website

Blog

Facebook page or group

Twitter

Additional source material to hand

Study owner

Population in 1881

Monumental inscriptions

Trade directories

Probate office summaries

Family histories

Obituary notices

Newspaper extracts

Will transcriptions

Tithe apportionment

Contact name (if different)

Contact email

Baptism registers date from

Burial registers date from

Marriages registers date from

Baptism transcriptions

Marriage transcriptions

Burial transcriptions

Parish Registers:





Census transcriptions:

1841

1851

1871

1861

1881

1891

1911

1901

Local history/timeline

Militia lists

Online / social media presence

Additional comments from study owner/contact

Current status

Look-up service for offline records?

Study registered

Registered One-Place Study

Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share via e-mail

Bolton-le-Moors

Loading...

Lancashire

England

Anglezark, Belmont, Bradshaw, Blackrod, Chapletown, Darcy Lever, Edgeworth, Entwistle, Farnworth, Great Bolton, Great Lever, Harwood, Horwich, Halliwell,

Little Bolton, Little Lever, Lostock, Longworth, Rivington, Rumworth, Sharples,

Tonge-with-Haulgh, Turton, Quarlton and Westhoughton


-


Bolton-le-Moors

This study takes in the two areas of Bolton-le-Moors, Great Bolton and Little Bolton and their corresponding Townships.

The ancient parish of Bolton,was made up of two very distinct towns (Great Bolton and Little Bolton) that were separated by the River Croal which commences in Horwich, at Red Moss near to the Macron Football Stadium and then meanders down into the town of Bolton by following the course of the Bolton-Preston railway line, then goes underground to resurface near the Parish Church then goes on to eventually to join up with the River Irwell.

The lands within this ancient parish were held in the 12th century by three distinct tenures. With the exception of the Pilkington family of Rivington, the Bradshaws of Bradshaw and the Orells of Turton, the local landowners of the medieval period where either non-resident or not known.


Charles Cosworth Harman

185,397


Online


Online


Online

Online


Online


Online

Online


Online

Online

Online


Online



Online



To do


1837


1837

1813

Online

To do


To do


To do


Online


To do

To do


Offline


Offline


None found


To do


None found


-   


-


-


charlescosworth.harman

@ntlworld.com


-

2013

Active

-


The name Bolton is derived from the Old English bothl-tun and its first recorded use was in the form of Boelton dating from 1185. It was recorded as Bothelton in 1212, Botelton 1257, Boulton 1288 and Bolton after 1307. The towns motto of Supera Moras means "overcome difficulties" but translates literally as "Bolton on the moors". There is evidence of human existance on the moors around Bolton from early Bronze Age.

In 1067 Great Bolton belonged to Roger de Poiter and after 1100 to Roger de Meresheys, later to the Pilkington family who forfeited it in the Civil War and then to the Stanley's who became Earls of Derby.

Yes


10 Jul 2015

Bolton-le-Moors One-Place Study

Registered with the Register of One-Place Studies

This study takes a look at the various townships that comprised Bolton-Le-Moors by studying their place in history, the economic and political issues of the time, the Transport, Culture and Society, Notable People, the owners, householders, workers, the manor houses and their usage, population, religion including churches and chapelries and various hamlets and much more.