Study started circa
Overview of Study
Facebook page or group
Population in 1881
Contact name (if different)
Online / social media presence
© oneplacestudy.org 2013-
The following study has been registered and is also on the Worldwide One-
Online Parish Clerk scheme
Bohetherick, Burraton, Cross, Halton Quay, Ashton
St Dominick Parish is a rural area, with a total population which has not exceeded a thousand people. It is mainly agricultural (grazing land and market gardening) but still shows evidence of its part in the mining boom of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Kit Hill and its surrounding mining remains are not far to the north west.
St Dominick village is the main settlement, with groups of houses at Bohetherick, Burraton, Cross, Halton Quay and Ashton, the last two being mentioned in the Domesday Survey. There are also numerous individual houses/farms.
Halton Quay flourished in the days before the advent of rail and mechanised road transport, as one of the points at which lime and 'street sweepings' (manure) came in from Plymouth, and fruit and flowers were sent down the Tamar. Photographs of the Quay are on the OPC's website.
24 Apr 2014
St. Dominick Church © Myra Cordrey
Today the parish has many new houses, the residents of some being commuters. Bed and Breakfast accommodation and a few ancient 'pubs' serve the tourist industry and many of the old cottages have been renovated and extended. However the road layout has not changed much over the years, single tracks, with passing places and high hedges alongside, being the norm. The small, steep valleys provide challenges for people on foot, but also sheltered areas for isolated buildings.
Like most of the surrounding area, it was/is often the case that residents of St Dominick lived closer to the Church of a different Parish, so it is worthwhile for researchers to look through records for Callington, Calstock, Pillaton and St Mellion.
View of the village from St. Dominick Church © Myra Cordrey
St. Dominick One-